Pagina's

Friday, July 9, 2010

ALBUMS YOU HAVE TO HEAR BEFORE YOU DIE : LAIBACH - OPUS DEI


It's not always that easy to understand the world of Laibach, certainly not when I was a teen.
When I was 15 or so MTV still mattered and in programmes like "Alternative Nation" we were shown videos from bands like Laibach (imagine that now!!!!, and think about the "progress" our telly made).
Those Slovenian guys were dressed up like nazis (later I found out it was a satire which they call Neue Slowenische Kunst) but back then I didn't knew what it was about.
But still this album marked my later love for the industrial music.
This year Laibach will see their 30th birthday with a greatest hits album on its way and this album certainly has to be seen as one of the milestones from the genre.
Apart from the very funny versions from tracks like "Life is life" by Opus ("Leben heisst Leben") and the best cover by Queen ever ("One Vision" becoming "Geburt einer Nation"), you also hear here industrial soundscapes added with the military drums.
Honestly said I don't think they ever were that good, certainly not the last ten years but this is essential....

No comments:

Post a Comment