Pagina's

Thursday, February 25, 2010

VEIL VEIL VANISH OR HOW YOUR MUSICAL WORLD CAN CHANGE IN A MOMENT....


It's 2010 and I'm 41 years old. During all those years I'm walking around on Planet Earth as Simon LeBon would sing, I have some fave bands that change my live forever. Just like so many other soulmates it are bands like The Chameleons, New Order, The Sound, Echo & The Bunnymen, And Also The Trees or Clan Of Xymox that marked my ears forever. I still dig music, in fact I am not ashamed to say that I spend 24hrs to it, it's more important than everything else around...for me it's some sort of oxygen.
Honestly said, I hate people who claim that today in 2010 there's no good music being made as from the moment I hear that (and in fact I hear that too much), I tend to say : go back to your miserable life and keep on living in the past, if it makes you happy to keep on raving about the past...then go back to the past!!!
Having said that, I must also tell that I thought that I couldn't add any new band to the list of the big faves...yup, I thought the list was complete. But, and hey if you're a smart reader you felt it coming, it changed....
If a band decides to name a song after an lp by The Sound (they have a song called "Secondhand daylight") you know it must be something to hear.
And what a sound these Americans have...woooow....
Some say they're like The Cure (they appeared on a Cure-tribute cd), others think they're shoegazers, I think they're like The Chameleons with shoegazingguitars, sometimes it's like Adrian Borland is singing from heaven which is both creepy and great at the same time ...whatever you might think about how they're sounding, it's just a fact that every song grabs you by the neck and they're not ashamed to take the darkwave from the 80's as their example and that they're able to create haunting melodies.
I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm an Anglophiliac and there was even a time in my life in where I despised the American musicscene but you have to blame shitbands like Soundgarden or Audioslave for that. I never would have thought that I once in my life would say that my current faves were coming from the States and for once Obama has nothing to do with it.
Veil Veil Vanish have just launched their album "Change in the neon light" and changes are quite big that they'll be picked up and make it. In my books they are the forthcoming stars of 2010, without any doubt one of the best bands I heard in the last 15 years and for once I am not creating a hype, it's just a statement I said to myself...a song like "The wilderness" faces you with the desolate solitude of the human self, the sound (ooops) speaks for itself. The future's theirs....

No comments:

Post a Comment